September 23, 2026

Why I Almost Never Get Bored: Living with Passion


Do you ever get bored?

A while ago I was visiting Yuki again. Our conversations always cover a bit of everything, which is of course because we have a glass of wine with them. Once the wine is flowing, conversation quickly starts jumping from one topic to the next. 😉 At some point I was telling her about my blog and how much I love working on it. It's an outlet for me, but more and more it's becoming a form of self-expression too. I enjoy writing the posts, designing the look of the blog itself, and, where it makes sense, creating a nice layout for individual posts. Lately I've also been busy (too busy) with the mini magazine I publish every Saturday on Substack, called SATURDAYS With Diana1.

As you can imagine, all of this takes quite a bit of time. I barely get around to the other things I'd love to do: finishing the renovation of my house in Sicily, giving my place in Amsterdam a really thorough declutter, getting the secondhand clothes I bought ready to wear (hemming pants, moving buttons, maybe dyeing a few things, that sort of thing…). Even the everyday tidying and cleaning often falls through the cracks. I'd also like more time to improve my Italian and maybe pick up painting. And there are books I'd like to read.

I can't blame my blog and Substack for this, because I've always been this way. I've always had far too little time for everything I wanted to do. That's often frustrating, but at the same time I see it as something positive. What I'm about to say might sound a bit grand, but I experience it as a kind of powerful life force flowing through me, a passion. I didn't even realize it was a passion until Yuki responded to my enthusiasm about my blog by saying, "I wish I had a passion."

And that's the thing: from where I stand, it's so hard for me to relate. I simply can't imagine not having something you're fired up about. I say that without judgment. I just don't recognize it. A friend of mine once said, a few years ago, "When I wake up, sometimes I think, pfff… what am I going to come up with to do today?" She said she'll just stay in bed an hour longer, so the day at least won't be quite so long. Meanwhile, I often set my alarm for 5:00 a.m. and still run out of time.

I didn't respond to Yuki's comment about wishing she had a passion. I don't have an answer for it. For me it comes naturally, from within. I've always been someone who loves getting lost in things, even things that seem incredibly dull to other people. My best friend in high school used to laugh at me for doing math problems during lunch, just for fun. I simply enjoyed it, and I probably still would. (I sometimes buy secondhand math books, just in case I get the urge to practice.)

I was like this as a very small child, too. The only times I ever got bored were when I was sitting among adults chatting away and there was absolutely nothing for me to do. They would often hand me a sketchbook and a pencil, and I could happily keep myself busy for hours. And if that wasn't available, there was always a women's magazine or some other magazine lying around somewhere (this was long before the internet), and I'd make crafts out of it.

So boredom is a feeling that's largely foreign to me. I don't know where that comes from. I've wondered whether it's something physical, maybe hormones? Or is it more psychological? I was often on my own as a child, so maybe keeping yourself occupied is a skill you make your own over time? And maybe it even comes down to my horoscope or my house number? (That last one might actually be true, as you can read here!)

I promised Yuki we'd go to a museum together soon, and that I'd pick out an interesting exhibit. Maybe I'll tell you about it down the road.

Anyway, I'm curious how all of this is for you.
1 The posts I publish on my blog reappear in SATURDAYS With Diana in a whole new context. On my blog, each post stands on its own, but in the magazine they fall under an overarching theme or central question that is explored not only through my posts but also through other people's articles, playful interludes, and relevant cultural expressions. Want to check out an issue? You can do that here.

29 comments:

  1. Prowadzisz intensywne życie, więc na nudę nie masz czasu. Faktem jest, że nudzą się najczęściej ludzie, którzy nie mają zainteresowań, nie wiedzą, co w życiu robić, nie mają pasji. Nigdy się nie nudziłam i nie bardzo wiem, jak się człowiek wtedy czuje. Bo nawet gdy nie ma za bardzo nic do roboty, są przecież książki do czytania, są ludzie, z którymi można się spotkać, porozmawiać, gdy nie widujemy ich codziennie.
    Życzę powodzenia w dalszej realizacji planów i nieustannych pomysłów!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you've found the real secret, always having something to read or someone to talk to leaves little room for boredom to creep in. Thank you for the kind wishes, they mean a lot as I keep working through my plans and ideas!

      Delete
  2. Lindo post e se quisermoss, sempre temos motivos para do tédio fugir, para não dar espaço pra ele em nossas vidas! Há tanto de bom a fazer e ver! Lindo dia! beijos, chica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely way to put it, choosing not to give boredom any room when there's so much beauty to see and do. Wishing you a beautiful day too!

      Delete
  3. I have never suffered from boredom either. I like to say I am a man of many hobbies and not enough time. These days I spend much of the warmer parts of the year doing woodworking and gardening as well as volunteering for various organizations around town. During the winter months, I turn to genealogy research and catching up on my pile of books needing to be read. I have lots of other hobbies that I use to fill in all the remaining time.

    I've always thought that perhaps that stemmed from my upbringing on a farm. If I ever uttered the word "bored" to my parents, they generally responded by sending my outside to do some mind numbing task that needed to be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "A man of many hobbies and not enough time" is such a perfect way to put it, especially with woodworking, gardening, genealogy, and volunteering all in the mix. That farm upbringing tactic is a classic, nothing quite discourages boredom like being handed a chore to do instead! 😉

      Delete
  4. Hi Diana -- Thanks for coming by my blog today and leaving a comment! I am never bored too! I have always had a lot of interests based on intellectual and artistic curiosity. These keep me engaged with life. Who knows why this is so, but we curious people are very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being endlessly curious really does feel like a quiet superstroke of luck, there's always something new pulling you in. Thanks for the lovely exchange!

      Delete
  5. Good MORNING and thank you so much for the pleasure of your visit! I enjoyed your comment so much I am still grinning! About my dress pumps. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, so glad the dress pumps comment landed so well! Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  6. Hobbies, like reading, can reduce boredom.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very interesting read and one I enjoyed very much. It is not very often I get bored, in fact I can’t remember the last time. I like the times I am alone. I probably take after my parents, they were the same. Thank you Diana, and also for visiting my blog. Love, Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a lovely trait to have inherited, enjoying your own company so easily. Thank you, Denise!

      Delete
  8. You have a very nice blog. Thank you for stopping my mine. I'm never board either. I have too much to do that's fun and never enough time to get it all done. Have a nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and it sounds like we're kindred spirits on that front, so much fun stuff to do, never enough hours in the day! You too, have a great day!

      Delete
  9. I can't say I have never been bored, but usually I have too much to do. I need to slow down and smell the roses more - have a nice day and thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a valuable insight, sometimes having "too much to do" is its own kind of trap, and the real challenge becomes remembering to slow down and actually enjoy it. Thanks for the comment too, have a great day!

      Delete
  10. I wholeheartedly agree with you, dear, how can people get bored with all the things we can do? Even when I am not working, which is only when the crises forces me to, I will find artistic ways to fill up my days, either cooking or reading tons of books, or inventing recipes and doing my blog. Sometimes I feel 24h is not enough in a day, two more would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel exactly the same way, Dezmond, there's simply too much I want to do to ever make room for boredom. That feeling of 24 hours never being enough is exactly how I experience it too, there's always another recipe to invent, another book calling, another idea for the blog.

      Delete
  11. I'm never bored, and try to stay actively involved in my community serving on boards of social service organizations such as Habitat For Humanity, our local Food Pantry, and a Police-Community organization.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Volunteering across Habitat for Humanity, the food pantry, and a police-community organization is such a meaningful way to stay engaged, there's clearly no shortage of purpose in your days.

      Delete

  12. Leisure
    by
    William Henry Davies


    Next

    What is this life if, full of care,
    We have no time to stand and stare.

    No time to stand beneath the boughs
    And stare as long as sheep or cows.

    No time to see, when woods we pass,
    Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

    No time to see, in broad daylight,
    Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

    No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
    And watch her feet, how they can dance.

    No time to wait till her mouth can
    Enrich that smile her eyes began.

    A poor life this if, full of care,
    We have no time to stand and stare.

    I have pasted this poem in because I think it reminds us that inactivity can be rich and rewarding. Pausing to reflect and recharge is not the same as idleness with its usual companion - boredom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That distinction between purposeful pause and boredom-driven idleness is such an important one, and Davies' poem captures it perfectly. It's a great reminder that we could all use more of that "time to stand and stare" ourselves.

      Delete
  13. It's good that you always have things to do and the ambition to do them. I always have a list going of things I want to do but work and other commitments usually get in my way! I hope to have more time and ambition to keep busy and do all the things like you do! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hear you ~ I have tons of interests and not enough free time to explore them all. But I do get bored at work…

    ReplyDelete
  15. sure sounds like you are far too busy to be bored.

    ReplyDelete