What do you think: was it just my imagination, or was it real?
A while back I wrote a post about dating these days, about how you're basically stuck with dating apps because people seem to have, for whatever reason, unlearned how to approach each other in the wild. It got some interesting responses, but one in particular stood out to me, and that was Guillaume's. He wrote: "I think now people lost the capacity to engage, communicate and to flirt."
I thought: Well, I'll be. I'd completely forgotten about that, but he's right. Once upon a time there was this thing called flirting. And suddenly I remembered a little incident at the supermarket a few months ago that completely threw me for a loop. I was genuinely disoriented walking home afterward.
You know how one of the reasons I picked this particular house in Sicily was that it's close to a Lidl? At the time, Lidl was my favorite supermarket in Italy. (These days I like to alternate with Eurospin, but I digress.) So there I was, grocery shopping at my Lidl. Unlike my regular supermarket back in Amsterdam, the staff at my Lidl in Sicily doesn't turn over much. So after a while, faces start to become familiar. And – I don't know what it is – but people tend to size each other up for attractiveness, instinctively, without even meaning to. (At least, I don't know if that sounds familiar to you?) Either way, it's something I catch myself doing now and then.
Anyway, I get to the checkout, and who happens to be standing there but the Lidl guy I find the most attractive. Yes, standing, because these are self-checkouts. In the Netherlands you can only pay by card at self-checkouts, but in Italy it's different. You can also pay cash at a central register, where you bring your receipt after you've scanned your groceries.
So off I go with my receipt to the central register – and the attractive employee. He tells me the total, I hand him a fifty, and… here it comes, completely out of the blue: he gives me my change, lightly brushes my hand as he does, and practically purrs into my ear: "Buona giornata, signora." I kept my cool. As if nothing had happened, I answered on autopilot: "You too, have a nice day, goodbye." I walked calmly out of the store, head held high, very deliberately not looking back, and once I was outside I thought: What was that??
I was completely thrown.
All the more so because, as I quickly realized, it was a textbook case of plausible deniability. Technically, all he said was "Have a nice day, ma'am." But then there was that subtle brush of the hand and that sultry whisper in my ear. Except… those are things that are very much open to personal experience and interpretation. It may have been intentional on his part, but it could just as easily be denied. He could always say: "No, no, I just gave you your change and wished you a nice day."
Now I'm almost making it sound like I want to make a federal case out of it, but that's not it at all. I was pretty flustered, sure, but in a good way. My first thought was: Maybe it's time for a haircut. And I could paint my nails again. And maybe I should put some self-tanner on my legs. That kind of thing…
I still run into that particular Lidl guy at the self-checkout sometimes. No more subtle hand-brushes, no more soft whispers in my ear. So maybe it really was all in my head, just my imagination?
I don't know. And maybe it doesn't matter. Because plausible deniability is, of course, the very essence of flirting. Flirting works because it's ambiguous. Dating apps are straightforward, and that makes them, frankly, deadly dull. No app match ever sent you home with your head full of question marks and plans for a haircut.
I think Guillaume is right: people lost the capacity to engage, communicate and to flirt. But luckily not everyone. At my Lidl, at least, it seems to be alive and well.
And what if he was just doing his job and it was all my imagination? Then I hope I get to experience a few more of these imaginary little moments. They add a little spice to life.
What do you think: flirt or fantasy?
Photo: Don Delfin Almonte
PS: If you enjoyed this, you might like SATURDAYS With Diana, my little Saturday-morning magazine on Substack. Every issue explores one feeling we've all had, through stories, art, music and a few surprises. Take a peek at one here, free of charge.

Thank you! Deus caritas est!
ReplyDeleteObrigada! Thank you for stopping by.
DeleteWell, I wouldn't say that's flirting at all...many young men( mostly are just out of the school) at LIDL and ALDI are really that friendly. If that's flirting, you should see how my butcher flirts :-))
ReplyDeleteYour butcher made me laugh, because I have one just like that! But mine is so over the top and explicit about it that I don't even count it as flirting anymore. Maybe it comes with the job? Butchers, the secret Casanovas of the neighbourhood! 😄
DeleteDiana, I am of an age now that when someone flirts with me, I just go with it. I take it when I can get it... : )
ReplyDeleteThe problem I have seen over the years is this... technological isolation. People, eyes down, staring at their phones or in intent conversation with whomever is on the other side - too focused on that to pay attention to the world around them. I used to walk a lap around my neighborhood every morning. Every morning, I would pass the same, I call him "The Squirrel"; I would say a hearty, "Good morning!" and he would look at me in terror then dart his eyes as if looking for a tree to scurry up. I see WAY too much of that.
I was born of a generation that taught me to walk upright, shoulders back, head up, look people in the eye, greet people. I see so little of that. No one wants to make eye contact; usually looking around in shock to see who DARE tell them to have a "Good Morning!".
So, when someone looks ME in the eye and says "Hello!"; is that a minor flirtation? Possibly. But it's certainly a human connection in a world where those dynamics are being starved out. I'm just going to savor the moment, and if they are really cute, I'm going to just let the heart skip a beat.
I know that look so well! I used to say hello to people in the street, at the supermarket, on the train or the tram, and they'd look at me like I'd lost my mind. So I stopped doing it... And that's the sad part, it becomes a vicious circle. The fewer people reach out, the stranger it feels to do it, so even fewer people do. Your Squirrel made me laugh though! 😄 Maybe I should start again, and just savour the moments when someone does say hello back.
DeleteI love to just greet people I see; tI don't care if people get offended or not. What bothers me is when I see some helicopter mom dragging her spawn through a store, and the kid looks at me and say "Hi!", and I reply back "Hi!" and the mom begins to panic like "STRANGER DANGER!! STRANGER DANGER!" and looks at me like I'm some kind of a perv. I just shake my head, and usually mutter to the kid, "Good luck with that!" and nod to the mom.
DeleteAren't Italian men generally like that, flirting like a way of life? They seem so irresistible when they set their eyes on a prey LOL And is it just me or are boys in Lidl generally always hot? I actually been to Lidl today and can happily report that I have found my Vemondo marinated and smoked tofus and glufree pasta, these days they are hard to find there, but sadly my Lidl is a 40 minute walk away from my palace and nobody flirted with me in it (cries inconsolably)...
ReplyDeleteHaha, flirting is practically a national sport here! 😄 And no, it's not just you, Lidl seems to have a special hiring policy... But congrats on your tofu and gluten-free pasta haul, that's a victory too! And after a 40 minute walk, you deserved at least one flirt. Next time, I'll send an Italian your way! 😉
DeleteSounds like a flirt to me. I think you should be flattered, and I think you were although you haven't quite expressed it like that. Sadly, so one flirts with this 79-year-old. Well only sad in a way but good really.
ReplyDeleteBTW, I subscribed although I don't get to Substack too often.
DeleteThank you so much for subscribing! No pressure at all, whenever you drop by is lovely. 😊
DeleteYou caught me, I was flattered! 😄 And I just saw your photos today, I'd never have guessed you're 79! If nobody flirts with you, they're missing out.
DeleteI am pretty sure I could not comment one way or another without having seen the interaction, but if it felt like flirting to you, just take it that way. What's the worst that could happen? You walk with a little more zip in your steps and a smile on your face?
ReplyDeleteHaha, that's exactly what happened! I walked out of there grinning like a fool. 😄
DeleteI think the uncertainty is actually what makes flirting so much fun. That little moment when you wonder whether there was really something behind a look, a touch or a few words. And I love your conclusion that, even if it was all in your imagination, these little moments can still add some spice to everyday life.
ReplyDeleteKisses
Exactly! That little 'did he or didn't he?' moment is half the fun. If you knew for sure, the magic would be gone. And honestly, a bit of imagination never hurt anyone, especially on an ordinary Tuesday at the supermarket! Kisses back!
DeleteDid he give you the right change?
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Ha, I have no idea! I was so flustered I couldn't count anymore! 🤣 So if I was short-changed, it was worth it. God bless you too!
DeleteIf he was flirting, that was nice. I would just got with it. I'm 56, not many men flirt with me these days.
ReplyDeleteOh, I recognise that so well, I'm 56 too! Flirting has become such a rare treat at our age that you learn to enjoy every little compliment, even from a cashier half our age. So you're absolutely right: just go with it and enjoy the smile it gives you!
DeleteItalians like to flirt, even here in Germany. Does it mean something? No idea.
ReplyDeleteSo they take it with them wherever they go! Maybe it means nothing, but I don't mind. 😉
DeleteGigi Hawaii. Haha. If he didn’t ask you out, then you can just forget him. These days, men are more aggressive and assertive. If they’re interested in you, they’ll pursue you.
ReplyDeleteThat touch you describe I have encountered a few times and like you, question marks hang all over it. The light drawing of a hand across the back, the hug that goes on a bit too long but not offensively. And yes, a light finger brushing a palm. Last time (in a long while) I was flirted with was back in April, and it took me a while to catch on: 3-hour lunch, he paid, asked when we could do it again, massive bear hug. He went back to another province, stayed in touch but unfortunately died (MAID) a few weeks ago. I'd say you need to get another receipt and touch that guy's hand if you're interested.
ReplyDeleteXO
WWW
You didn't flirt back, so he assumed you weren't interested, and he hasn't gone there again. I would not know what to do if someone flirted with me, but that's unlikely anyway.
ReplyDeleteAh ah ah thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteApós alguns feedbacks a dizer que o link para o questionário de consulta e satisfação do blog, não estava a funcionar, criei um novo link, se ainda não respondeste, gostava muito de ter a tua partilha aqui
Bjxxx,
Pinterest | Instagram | Blog |