☰

September 29, 2026

I Don't Need to See the Mona Lisa Again: On Mass Tourism


Do you still take city trips now and then?

I mean a long weekend, or a few days away midweek.

There was a time, back when my daughter was a teenager, when I did that fairly often. Although honestly, it was more a case of my daughter dragging me along than the other way around.

Back then I had a job that paid reasonably well, so I could afford it. My main reason was that I thought it mattered for my daughter's education to see the famous highlights she was into at the time in real life, not just as pictures on the internet.

One of those first trips was a few days in Rome. We went to see the Colosseum, of course, plus the Roman Forum, the Pantheon, the Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona and the Capitoline Museums. There was even a special Caravaggio exhibition marking the 400th anniversary of his death. I'd never heard of Caravaggio before, but I was completely blown away and fell head over heels in love with his work.

I found every single sight fascinating, especially the "Garden Room" from the Villa of Livia at Palazzo Massimo. But what really shocked me was the mass tourism. When my daughter and I started taking those trips, I hadn't really traveled abroad to go sightseeing since I was a kid. I'd never been to Rome, and I'd been looking forward to mingling with the stylish, well-dressed locals. I'd even packed with that in mind: no baggy sweaters or comfy sweatpants, but at least a nice blouse, a smart jacket, and a scarf to complete the look.

Boy, was I in for a letdown! I'm not sure I saw a single local that whole trip in May. What I saw were tourists in white sneakers and baseball caps, with big cameras dangling over their (sometimes slightly too round) bellies. Anyway, I found that pretty shocking. Same with the crowds packed around the Trevi Fountain and on the Spanish Steps. Just not fun, period.

Around that same time (I think it was August), we took a trip to Paris. Same story. Among other things, my daughter wanted to see the Eiffel Tower and the Mona Lisa. By then I'd given up any illusions about spotting actual locals, though Paris wasn't quite as bad on that front. Still, the overwhelming crowds at the sights definitely took some of the fun out of it for me. I never expected the Mona Lisa to be such a tiny little painting. Back then, if you wanted to see it, you were herded like cattle into a separate room, the Salle des États, and you could only hope to catch a glimpse over everyone's heads (or, being on the short side, peeking between them).

And when you spend a few days in a Paris hotel, you end up relying on street food a lot, because eating out twice a day in Paris was more than my budget could handle. And what do you notice? Parisian street food is practically identical to what you get in Amsterdam or Rome: mostly Nutella, on crêpes and waffles. At least it is on the well-known streets in the city centers, which these days only seem to be walked by tourists.

By the time we went to London for a few days to visit those wonderful museums, most of them free, I'd more or less learned my lesson. By now I looked like a frumpy but comfortably dressed tourist myself! There was no camera dangling over my own slightly too round belly, but there was a backpack. It was stuffed with homemade sandwiches, Dutch spice cake, a travel immersion heater, instant soup packets, tea bags and packets of instant coffee. That was enough to survive on for two days.

I took those trips mostly because my daughter asked me to. And to be fair, I really enjoyed seeing so many of those sights in person. I found it interesting, but the circumstances weren't exactly romantic. When I go abroad, part of what I'm hoping for is to immerse myself in another culture and enjoy the nicer sides of it. But honestly, I can no longer tell a shopping street in central Amsterdam from one in Paris or London. The stores are often exactly the same.

It's something I notice in my own city, Amsterdam, too: the center really isn't for locals anymore. I certainly have no reason to go there. The restaurants, bars and nightlife are geared entirely toward tourists now, so you don't see any locals there anymore. These days they seek out nice little places in their own neighborhoods.

That's why I told a friend just yesterday, "Even though I'd really love to see them for myself, I'm going to pass on a city trip to somewhere like Venice or Florence." "You have to get off the beaten path," she replied. By the way, I've heard that in Venice the gondoliers sing Neapolitan songs, because that's what tourists like to hear.

Personally, I think I'd rather seek out lesser-known cities.

So the big tourist magnets aren't for me anymore, unless there's a special exhibition I'd want to see. For Caravaggio, I'd happily brave the crowds one more time. But even then, I'd most likely stick to just that. And maybe I'd see if, as my friend said, there's something interesting to see or do off the beaten path, even if it's just a good meal at a little local place.

One place I'd really like to go is Lecce, sometimes called "the Florence of the Baroque." The whole historic center is the attraction. You can just wander around and keep stumbling onto Baroque facades, churches, courtyards and ancient Roman ruins. And I'm afraid I shouldn't put it off much longer, because apparently the tourists have pretty much discovered it already.

What about you? Where would you love to take a city trip?

Photo: 继禹 郝
P.S. By the way, did you know I also publish a mini-magazine? It comes out every Saturday and it's called SATURDAYS With Diana. If you'd like, you can take a look at an issue here.

31 comments:

  1. If I could travel again (which will probably never happen, for health reasons), Italy would definitely be first on my list. With so much to see from both the Roman and Renaissance periods, it's unmatched. Unfortunately it does seem that many places are overwhelmed with tourists these days, which would indeed ruin the experience. Places like Venice that used to welcome tourists as a mainstay of the economy are now trying to discourage them. If I could go, I'd probably go in the winter. I assume Italy doesn't get really cold, and it would be worth it to avoid the crowds.

    Eventually countries like Italy will probably need to limit the number of tourist visas so they don't get swamped. The world's population keeps growing and keeps getting richer and more able to travel, so the problem will only continue to intensify.

    But to actually see the great structures the Romans built, to walk where Galileo walked -- I still dream of it. And even small villages in Europe have a kind of soul to them that our American ones just don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was younger, my thirst for knowledge was probably different… I can well understand wanting to avoid mass tourism. That’s probably also why we don’t want to fly all over the world. Instead, we holiday in Bavaria, where we live.

    I agree, we want another holiday.
    Greetings by Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't travel anymore for health reason, but I would definitely go back to the UK to see more. I loved the cities we visited, but I would have wanted to see so much more. We were always quite lucky that the museums, parks, zoological and botanic gardens we visited weren't overcrowded because I don't do well with crowds at all. Knowing that we also liked to pick times which were not so popular with others and were already gone when the masses came in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I travel I avoid cities, especially those well known to be tourist meccas. The pursuit of nature has always been, is now and always will be, my passion in life. A quiet corner by a stream would always be my choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not often. My husband has a penchant for NYC, and every once in a while, we'll take the train down from Providence for a long weekend. Frankly I am over big cities. My hearing is shot and I don't like loud places amid throngs of people. I don't care if I EVER see Times Square again.


    ReplyDelete
  6. We go to the city when we have to. And btw, what is so fascinating about the Mona Lisa?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not about to travel, but I think I would much prefer the country to the city.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We typically go in the opposite direction most tourists go. I am more interested in the culture than I am photographing a site of which I can likely find a thousand other similar photographs of it already posted online.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ola Diana,
    Viajar é muito bom, ja fiz viagens longas para Europa,oriente medio,
    Depois fui para o nordeste do|Brasil que é lindissimo, mas muito caro.
    o melhor de viajar é voltar para casa.
    otimo dia.beijos

    ReplyDelete
  10. An interesting post. We go on day trips. Usually, we head somewhere further afield to fish or just to walk in the woods. We also photograph birds during our day trips. We don't visit museums or other tourist attractions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a travel post with a difference and I found it enlightening as a potential traveller. What to expect from cities? Irrespective of continental leaps, we may get the same taste in street food all over!

    I do want to get out of India for a while. To some places like Vietnam and Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't like gong to the cities. Most of my family has been to Italy, I would love to visit there but age and health keeps me close to home. I'm off to check out your magazine. Have a nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved each of the cities you visited and while I agree that there was a lot of tourists I knew that going in. I’ve only travelled to Europe in early June or September and likely the crowds were not as intense. My hubby is currently having heart issues and we cannot travel but I want to see more of my own country Canada when we can.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved Venice. You should go. It is beautiful but gondolas are ridiculously expensive; there's a boat bus that does the same for much less!
    We went to Rome in February and it was full of well-dressed women.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such an interesting topic! Mass tourism really is such a double-edged sword—it can bring so much to a destination economically, but it can also change the very things that made people want to visit in the first place. It definitely makes me think more about how and when we travel.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ich habe meine Ferien schon immer lieber außerhalb der großen Städte verbracht. So wie ich jetzt in Griechenland am Hang des Taygetos-Gebirge wohne. Vielleicht ist es meinen Stammlesern aufgefallen, dass ich schon zwei Wochen berichte, aber Athen und andere Städte mit antiken Sehenswürdigkeiten nicht in meinem Bericht vorkommen. Natürlich habe ich mir die Akropolis, Delphy, Olympia usw. angesehen. Schon vor Jahren. Jetzt mag ich nicht nochmal mit den Menschenmengen über die Wege geschoben werden. So handhabe ich es auch in anderen Ländern. Einmal ansehen reicht. Alle späteren Infos hole ich mir im Internet.
    Viele Grüße Anette

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been to Paris but didn’t get to see the Mona Lisa. Loved what I saw of the city. It was only for a weekend and I was with several family members and was seeing to their needs. We were on our way to Normandy and spent most of our time there. In my heart I would love to visit Rome but have a fear of highly crowded places. I would love to visit Australia and New Zealand too but at this stage of my life and ability, I am happy traveling virtually. I loved visiting today and thank you so much for visiting me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I must say, I do want to see Rome. Just not when it's hot and/or full of tourists. In the middle March, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't really travel. Only in the last couple years have I gone anywhere, and that was just to see my brother. So, I saw some nice cities in Ohio. Not terribly exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We don't travel much at all these days, it's too expensive. We did get lots of travel in way back when we owned a travel agency.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would like to travel to Egypt someday and see the pyramids. I am afraid of flying, so I rarely travel. I have been to Spain twice. Usually, I travel to Lapland and Norway with my husband in a motorhome.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do enjoy traveling. Mostly we go on cruises, but I'd love to visit Paris or Rome. Those would be great trips.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I’m a weirdo and hate traveling. I do love food, museums, art, architecture, etc., but I can’t bear airports, planes, hotels, and all that. It gives me a migraine and then I can’t enjoy anything. Not to mention the cost! So, I partake in local events and enjoy faraway cities vicariously…

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm not sure how you found my blog, but thank you for stopping by. We used to live overseas, and we would also travel to other cities. We had the same experience in the touristy areas, but we would make it a point to get off the main spots and eat local. We did that in Rome and didn't regret it, had the best pizza of our lives, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Diana! First, thanks for stopping by The Marmelade Gypsy. It's lovely to "meet" you and I'm looking forward to spending more time with your posts.

    I hear you on the challenges of travels, crowds and not getting with locals. I had that Mona Lisa experience and all I can remember are the throngs of people with selfie-sticks, which I hope are no longer allowed! It's not the museum experience, that's for sure! I've had completely different experiences in London than you, though. It may be during the times we traveled -- not summer, never summer! Definitely off peak in October. Crowds were much milder except on the weekend. Our hotel had a great breakfast and we maxed it out, and also took a piece or two of fruit with us for a snack later in the day. For the most part, we could skip lunch, although the Pret a Manger chain was adequate fast lunch food -- very good sandwiches, mostly the kind you might make at home, like egg salad. That and a drink would be plenty to get us through to dinner. If we got out of the main center of town, food was still good but less expensive. As for locals, we might just be chatty people and if standing in a line at the theatre or on the bus or the train, we'd talk to people. (The best experience of that was on the train to Cardiff, where we were joined by a student who told us much of how things differed from their and her home in England. Then we were joined by another and got into a politics discussion, where the young woman and young man really had very opposing views! Another time, we connected with two others who had been to the same Bath rugby game we'd been to. Our bus did not come -- it was out of service, but we ended up chatting over an hour about all sorts of things and sharing an Uber home with one of them! (In Bath, we stayed in a cottage where we had to bus in and it was fun talking to other riders who were very friendly, or the pub servers if it wasn't busy.) We also tried to do early entries to museum. But I hear you on the crowds and sometimes it isn't convenient (or safe) to chat it up! I hope your experiences don't sour you on future travel! (And by the way, our Amsterdam experience was made better because we DID have friends who lived there -- same with Paris. They can really point out the highs and lows of where to go-- or not!)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I live in a small rural town in Ireland and even here, the impact of tourists is easy to see. Sometimes the number of passengers and crew was more than the population of the town. And sometimes they expect a certain image of Ireland that isn't real. I'm a blow-in myself and have lived in various small towns in Ireland for the last 12 1/2 years. I don't have any desire to go to Dublin or any of the few smaller urban areas, so have avoided them. I don't do well in crowds of people.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I tend to avoid visiting cities and find I prefer things like national parks where you can spread out and really feel like you can get away from the crowds. Though that said, other than a quick trip to Paris when I was in high school, I've never been anywhere in Europe and would have a hard time turning down a trip if someone offered to take me. Crowds or not I think I'd still try to make the most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I don't travel, although I have been to the U.S. (New England) several times many decades ago with friends who had a car. I do, however, enjoy seeing photos and videos as well as hearing the experiences of people who do travel! I will be 70 in October.
    Thank you so much for sharing.
    And thank you for your visit and kind comment on my blog, I really appreciate it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I don't travel anymore, never liked traveling in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I stopped travelling a decade ago, and I don't miss it one bit. I have actually set myself up with a life I don't need to escape from to go and see somewhere that never quite lives up to my expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Don't get me started on over travelling. Ever since COVID the travel have a become a nightmare. Apparently in winter season some places like Venice are overcrowded

    ReplyDelete