How many friends do you have?
I don't even know how to count them anymore.
Not because there are so many, quite the opposite, but because I no longer know who still deserves the label "friend."
I know, that probably sounds a little bitter, and that's exactly why I've let this topic sit for a while before writing about it.
When everything with Harry was happening, I was obviously deeply shaken by it. But what shook me even more was the reaction of my "friends." I feel compelled to put that word in quotation marks because, for the time being, I'm no longer sure it fits the definition I always used to hold it to.
Let me explain how that happened. Because even though I might sound bitter right now, this is actually more a testimony to good fortune, up until Harry's accident. What do I mean by that? Well, apparently nothing had happened to me before that point serious enough to make me lean on my friends. If something came up, I could always go to Harry.
But now, now that I had witnessed the attack Harry suffered, the lead-up to it, and the devastating aftermath, I turned to my friends for support. I was, after all, completely alone abroad, I had a lot to arrange, and on top of that, Harry's family blamed me for all of it. That was the hardest part of all. Which is why I haven't talked about it here until now.
But... everything in its own time.
First, back to the "friends." Because what shocked me most was that I couldn't actually turn to them. Where, say, twenty or thirty years ago, it was completely normal to call your friends for support when something like this happened, that turned out no longer to be the case. Out of politeness, they'd let you tell your story once, and that was it. That they did it "out of politeness" is a conclusion I'm drawing myself. I never asked them what their motive was. But I did notice that — with a few exceptions — nobody really engaged, or asked questions. They let me tell my story, only to respond with something like, "Wow, that's rough, hang in there!"
(I've written more about that here.)
The reason I said earlier that this was more a testimony to good fortune is that, apparently, I'd been lucky enough to go all those decades without ever really needing to lean on my friends in that way. But now I had to face the fact that things work differently than they did twenty or thirty years ago, when I had much more of a sense that my friends actually cared, that they listened to my stories with genuine interest and empathy, were often moved by them, stayed engaged, and frequently even came up with concrete, practical suggestions. But now... none of that. I felt brushed off. And even rejected the next time I called.
So I stopped calling. Some people, I never called again. And now I have even fewer "friends" than before.
Even though I could no longer clearly say who still counted as a "friend," I obviously still had contacts. But now that I'd been through this trauma (and honestly, I'm not even sure which part was more traumatic: what happened to Harry, or the attitude of my "friends"), something in me had shifted. I started experiencing conversations differently. I wasn't just a participant in a conversation anymore, I was also observing it. And what struck me most from that point on is how many people simply don't listen. Sure, they hear that you're making sounds, and they pick up on a phrase here and there that catches their attention. But the whole context of what you're actually trying to convey never, ever lands. (I've also written more about that here.)
That's another thing I'd never consciously noticed before. I used to hold it against Harry, that he often didn't engage with what I said, so that we ended up running two monologues side by side rather than having a real dialogue. For years I thought that was just something specific to Harry. Now I've realized that a huge number of people communicate that way.
I decided that, going forward, I'd try to listen as much as possible in my interactions instead of wanting to talk. Because when I tell someone something, it's with the intention that it actually lands. And very often, it doesn't. So now, whenever someone interrupts me, I just let it go. If I have to compete for airtime, it seems pretty obvious to me that whoever I'm talking to isn't that interested in what I have to say anyway.
That's how I discovered that genuine interest in what someone else is saying is reciprocal. Because I noticed that once I just let others talk at me, barely getting a word in myself during these "conversations," my mind started to wander. Their story became a kind of background noise, one that I, in turn, found myself tuning out — interrupting them the moment something popped into my head, something that, usually, had absolutely nothing to do with what they'd been talking about.
And there was something else going on too.
Since I couldn't find support among my friends, I went looking for a therapist. But I couldn't find one of those either. Not because there aren't enough of them, quite the opposite: in my search I discovered there's practically one on every street corner in my area. Which is exactly why I found it so strange that almost all of them had waitlists of at least six months. I didn't get it: are there really that many people near me with that many, or that severe, psychological issues? I even brought it up with my rheumatology nurse. She'd noticed the same thing, but didn't have an explanation for it either.
It was my daughter who solved this mystery a few months later. A lot of people, apparently, find themselves needing to turn to a psychotherapist — just like I did. Not necessarily because they have an actual diagnosis, but because they don't have anyone to talk to. In fact, my daughter told me she herself sees a psychiatrist once a week, preventively. Not because she has any issues, but to keep herself from possibly developing them, in case she ever needs support and there's no one there to talk to.
I don't know what conclusion I'm supposed to draw from all this about who I can still call a "friend." Or maybe I do know, but I don't dare draw that conclusion. I am, however, bold enough to draw a different one. Because out of all this, one thing has become completely clear to me.
Listening.
That's a requirement for friendship.
There isn't a single person who doesn't want to feel heard.
Photo: Sam McNamara
P.S. You might also enjoy reading the SATURDAYS With Diana issue “Are Friends Still Really Friends?”

Those aren't friends. Casual acquaintances, maybe.
ReplyDeleteReal friends are rare. I had one who would do anything for me at any time so long as he could. He passed away last month due to a heart problem. I don't think I'll ever find another like him.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for the loss of your friend, Tomichan, and so recently too. A friend who would do anything for you, for as long as he could, is a rare and precious thing, and you were lucky to have had him. Thank you for sharing this here. It's a reminder that real friendship does exist, and that it's worth cherishing. My thoughts are with you.
DeleteListening is very important :)
ReplyDeleteI have never had a lot of friends, but the ones that I have had have been pretty good although they do fade out of my life eventually. One moves physically and so on and so forth.
ReplyDeleteSituation like that, you can only count on your family...
ReplyDeleteThat only works if you have a family.
DeleteHi Diana, so sorry you are going thru a rough time and it is shocking when "friends" aren't really there for you. I have found this as well. You navigate to those who are there ... and seeing a therapist seems a good idea too ... Hang in there. things can turn around.
ReplyDeleteI have noticed these parallel conversations too. I am not sure what it means since it happens so often in so many areas: work, friends, family. It doesn’t happen one on one usually, just if people are chatting in a group, even in a small group of three. It seems no one is listening to anyone, and it’s totally fine to interrupt and change the flow. It used to upset me and I’d try again, only to get more upset, but now I accept it. I tell myself not to expect anyone to listen if it’s not one on one. I understand you’re saying it’s been happening one on one with you, and I would find that extremely upsetting. Paying a therapist to listen doesn’t seem like a great solution when we simply want someone who knows us to actually give a damn. I am sorry 😢
ReplyDeleteIndeed, I experience those parallel monologues in one-on-one conversations too, and yes, it upsets me as well. By now I've come to the conclusion that trying to make a point, or steer a conversation in a straight line toward something, is pointless. By the time you finally get to your point, people have usually lost the thread long ago because of all the interruptions and tangents. And it costs me too much concentration and energy to keep navigating back to my point after every detour. So I just let people ramble on. Because in the end, apparently I'm the only one who's interested in my "point."
DeleteYou say you're not sure what it means, and I wonder about that too. I have the impression that it used to be different, that people used to be better at listening. Do you feel that way as well, or is it just that we've become more aware of it?
Thank you for putting words to this. It helps to know I'm not the only one who notices it.
Praying for you and yours.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
My experiences are a bit different. I have had several friends that would take up considerable time sobbing over their problems. I'm a good listener and gave support. When my husband was in a horrible car crash. ( A woman ran the red and crashed into him) I was beside myself. I called my friend to get some support from her. The one that took many hours of my time. She was as you describe. Aloof, not interested and would cut me off and tell me she had to go. I found this many times in my life where my so called friends didn't have time for me when things were tough. However, I'm one of those people that you can "dis" me or hurt me only so many times and then you are out of my circle. It's not you, it's how people are. As women we have to care for ourselves and find that one or two friends that will be a "friend". I hope you can find what you are looking for. Also I'm glad you posted this. More people than you know go through this, you are not alone.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear about your husband's accident, and that the friend you had supported for so long wasn't there for you when you needed her. I recognize your experience. In my case too, there were several friends I had helped intensively in the past who didn't want to be "bothered" now. And indeed, those are the ones I ended up cutting off.
DeleteYour suggestion to find one or two real friends is a good one, but I personally find it hard to put into practice. To me, friendship is something that grows slowly, so it's not something you can simply go out and find.
Thank you for sharing your story, and for the kind words. It means a lot to know that I'm not alone in this.
I suppose one only gets to know who true friends are when the chips are down and you really need help. I don't think I have been in that situation so far and I am not sure whether some of my friends would go to the wall for me. Our relationships are predicated on shared interests and spending time together. If I was no longer able to do that, physically or for other reasons I don't know whether the friendship would hold fast. Now I am starting to ask how I would react if the situation were reversed.
ReplyDeleteOh Diana, that's not just one huge loss. It's two -- or more, depending on the number of friends who have let you down. And it hurts like crazy, doesn't it? Perhaps some just don't understand or are afraid themselves or don't know how to react. Your experience frightens them so they withdraw. But I daresay, the most of them are as you have described. In the room, but not there. This summer a friend and I were talking about friendships and I divided mine into groups. The A List were the people you could call at 3 in the morning if there was a crisis and they would be there -- on the phone, on person if they could. They acted without being asked because they already knew what I needed. The B-list were people you might have lunch with or go to the movies, but you aren't going to share your darkest, deepest emotions. The c-list? Former colleagues (I'm retired, so they are all former!) -- you get on fine but after work, nope. And the D-list. The people you know to say hello to and do small talk in a pinch. But not really friends. (C and D aren't really friends, though sometimes one surprises you.
ReplyDeleteI suspect you are a wonderful friend because you do listen. More than listen, you hear and process their thoughts and emotions and respond with empathy and support. They are very lucky to have you. I hope one day, one of those people surprises you. And your words here are an important reminder to all of us to listen. Be there.
Hi Diana,
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping at my blog today. This is a very interesting post and really made me think. I'm sorry you've gone through all this. I went back and read about what happened with Harry. Going through that trauma, in another country and then having "friends" abandon you is terrible. It makes me think about being very conscious about how well I am listening and being there for others.
I'm sorry you are going through such a difficult time. I am new to your blog so I will have to go back and read some of the previous posts.I have a lot of friends but only a few that I think would be there for me if I were in need and then people get busy with their own life.. My expectations are low for what I could expect from friends. That is so sad that your "friends" abandoned you when you really needed them.
ReplyDeleteEs duro cuando solo cuentas contigo para salir adelante. y los creías amigos no te apoyan. Te mando un beso.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry. My sister-in-law has found something similar as she gets less and less mobile. People she thought were friends no longer come around to see her. It's a true test. When you truly need them, are they there for you? No? Not true friends.
ReplyDeleteI don't think lot of people has a lot of friends, when it comes right down to it. I consider my journal a friend.
ReplyDeleteDear Diana, I am so sorry for what you have been through. I echo Mari's comment. ♥️
ReplyDeleteexactly my experience. thank you for this post!
ReplyDeletemy husband had to fight cancer for almost 3 years - years ago - and i needed friends so much (we both have no family). but it was how you described it. never called them again.
now i´m too not sure who i can call "friend" - i´m very careful with this. maybe to careful.
lately a met a women who is listening to me - its like a wonder.
xxx
Friends are interesting. I have some very good friends that I have known for ever. They are people who have stuck by me thick and thin. Then there are the friends who are there for a time when you need them and they disappear. And then there are those who are really not your friends, just people you deal with. Its good to have friends, but what I cherish the most are those who have stuck with me for a long time. I'd rather have a couple of good friends than lots of those who are not.
ReplyDelete