You know I split my time between Amsterdam and Sicily, right? Well, that means I've had to adjust my eating habits.
Why, you might ask, does your eating pattern have anything to do with splitting your time between two places?
Simple: the fridge! It has to be empty before I leave. Because when I leave, I shut off the electricity completely. And I always try as hard as I can to avoid throwing food away.
In both places, Amsterdam and Sicily, I only have a small mini-fridge with one of those little freezer compartments on top. I don't see why I'd need a bigger one. I live alone, so I don't need to stock much food, and a little model like that saves a ton of space in the kitchen. You can easily slide it under a counter, like I did in Sicily, or put a gas stove on top of it, like I did in Amsterdam.
I'll admit that people who sometimes stay with me for longer stretches, like my daughter and Harry back in the day, really can't stand my little fridges. They come with some real downsides. First, you have to squat down to actually see what's in there. Unlike a bigger fridge (which is usually only bigger because there's a same-sized freezer underneath) where you can just stand in front of it while you open the door. And second, my little fridges tend to be, frankly, kind of awkwardly packed. And that's precisely because they have to be emptied out every single time! Still with me? 🤪
Because sure, every time I leave I leave behind an empty fridge, but that logically means I also always arrive to an empty fridge. Where most people can just top off supplies that are running low, I always have to start from zero. And that often means the fridge gets stuffed full right away.
That last part might sound contradictory, but let me explain.
As I've said here before, I live on a tight budget. So it's a lot more cost-effective for me to buy a 5 kg bag of potatoes for 2 euros than to keep buying a kilo for a euro fifty each time. That's in Amsterdam, though — because believe it or not, groceries in Sicily are generally quite a bit pricier overall. At least at the supermarket. But in Sicily, I can't just walk into the produce shop and buy one tomato, or three potatoes. They simply don't sell things that way — they just give it to you. So out of basic decency, I end up buying a kilo of everything. Same at the butcher's. And before you know it, your fridge, freezer included, is packed to the brim.
By the way, quick tangent. Speaking of the supermarket — I've been noticing more and more tourists from Germany, the Netherlands, Scandinavian countries, and the UK at my usual Lidl. It's striking how differently they shop compared to the locals. The tourists really do — like I myself tend to do whenever possible — buy one tomato, one carrot, just a small amount of everything. And they always pay with their phone or debit card. The locals load up their carts completely and mostly pay in cash. I mean... you hear these statistics about poverty in Sicily, and I don't doubt them, but when I see people casually paying 200 euros in cash at the register, I have to gently conclude that maybe those numbers don't apply to everyone.
Anyway, back to my eating pattern, which has, out of necessity, adapted to my back-and-forth travels. It's mostly a one-track kind of eating. What I eat isn't so much determined by what I feel like, but by what's still left in the fridge and how many days I have left before I leave. Because those big quantities I'm forced to buy also all need to get eaten. And what I no longer do is force myself to eat just to finish it off. That's really not good for my waistline, I've unfortunately had to learn!
No — every time I walk through the supermarket and spot something tasty I'm tempted to grab, I pretty much automatically tell myself: don't buy it, you won't finish it!
So if, like right now, I've already bought a kilo of sausages and half a chicken at the butcher's, and then I see the cod is on sale at the supermarket, I have to tell myself: One, there's no room left in the fridge, and two, there's no way you're going to eat it all before you leave again. In practice, that means: once you've committed to sausages, no fish!
there's always way more room in the fridge than there is room in your stomach
It really took me a long time to get good at estimating how much food actually fits in the fridge, and whether I'll even manage to eat it all before I leave again. And I can tell you: there's always way more room in the fridge than there is room in your stomach. So practically speaking, what it comes down to is: at the start of each stay (in Amsterdam or in Sicily), I stuff the fridge full and slowly eat my way through it, occasionally topping up the essentials I go through daily, like yogurt, milk, and eggs.
So now you know what the fridge looks like for someone who splits her time between two places. 😉
How does yours look?
Photos: (top) Squared.one and Nicolas J. Barbier
Very interesting about your fridge.I live in Florida 6 months of the year and Philadelphia for 6 months. In Florida, I only have a small fridge (probably a little bigger then. yours) and I do have to think about what I buy - if there is room or not. I'm new to your blog, so I'll have to search through to understand your Amsterdam/ Sicily situation.
ReplyDeleteI miss those days. When I lived in Florida (before I met my husband), I had a mini-fridge that was perfect. I would do "day of" grocery shopping, so there was no need for massive storage.
ReplyDeleteToday, for two of us, we have two refrigerators (kitchen and game room) and an upright freezer (game room). So DAMN many "science experiments" because stuff gets shoved into the back of the fridge and forgotten about.
We DID put two refrigerators to use; my husband would pack his lunch every day, so the game room unit was essentially his working lunch box of sandwiches, snacks and desserts. But he is retired as of the middle of last month, so perhaps we can weed our way off the second one...
Anyhow.
I had to laugh at “there’s always way more room in the fridge than there is room in your stomach” because that is so true! I love how you’ve turned what could be an annoying necessity into a whole different way of thinking about shopping and eating.
ReplyDeleteHi, Diana! You’ve turned the mundane fridge into an Olympic logistical sport, and I love it.
ReplyDeleteEating your way through a meat commitment before the departure deadline sounds like an extreme cooking show challenge!
Mine looks completely different—as a busy family, our fridge is a full-sized mountain of groceries, leftovers, and milk jugs that vanish within 48 hours. But I have to say, the romantic idea of splitting the year between Amsterdam and Sicily definitely beats worrying about an under-the-counter fridge squat! Glad you stopped by!
It must be so interesting to have homes in two different countries - I’m interested to learn more.
ReplyDeleteOooh, I do ever so love to stick my nose in other peoples fridges LOL
ReplyDeleteYou do what is convenient to you and your life! I do not have a lot of stuff in my fridge either, what you will always find is a box of homemade raw energy almond oats and date balls which I eat during the week instead of bought sweets, some lemons, some ground flax seeds, coconut and sunflower oil, carrots, celeriac and parsley and some peas and corn up in the freezer.
I live alone, but I have a massive fridge in the kitchen with a deli drawer, a small one under the bar downstairs as well as a medium sized one in the storage area. I guess I’m grocery obsessed. I love all sorts of condiments, I have a collection of mustards, and I want to have everything on hand that I could possibly need when I decide to make whatever dish it is that I decide to make. Of course, in my case, I live in one place. I have, in the past, lived in different places, and it is a bit challenging where refrigeration is concerned.
ReplyDeleteI love your quote! Many of us see a huge fridge and want to fill it with groceries, but the truth is, when do we ever finish all of it? Buying less and eating everything always feels like a huge accomplishment because there's no waste.
ReplyDeleteWe have moved a lot and always had to toss food. Like you, we don't like to waste. Now, I stick to meal planning, and only buying food that is in that 2-week plan. We do one big shop at the beginning of the 2-week period, then we replenish the few items we need for the second week. We have a lot less waste than we used to, and our frig is never stuffed to the gills (nor is our pantry) and we love it that way.
ReplyDeleteI had to laugh at the idea of your fridge being “too small”—somehow no matter what size fridge we have, we always manage to fill it! I love getting a little peek into everyday things like this, and those colorful magnets make it feel so personal.
ReplyDeleteI had a similar fridge when I lived in England, I now have a bigger fridge here in Australia. But it's mostly empty. I also live alone. The one thing that is always in my fridge is a large container of washed and cut up celery ready for juicing each morning. I don't tend to overdo shop. Rather I buy as I need.
ReplyDeleteI can see that a small fridge would be a challenge. But I have never lived in two countries so it’s hard to imagine the juggling that takes place. We are two people and we have two refrigerators and a chest freezer. It’s ridiculous!
ReplyDeleteThat must be tricky! I think of what we do when we go on vacation for a week or two and how hard I try to not have food waste at the end of our time but to do that all the time seems like it would be even trickier. I mean, sure, over time I'd develop some great estimation skills and know what/how to do it but at the same time when I think of things like condiments, butter, etc. that we do often end up leaving behind in our rentals I wouldn't think there'd be a solution for that.
ReplyDeleteUno debe cuidar lo que compra y pone en refrijgerador. Te mando un beso y te deseo un buen fin de semana.
ReplyDeleteI have a standard size fridge that I share with my housemate, so I am mindful of how much I buy. I don’t want to hog more than half the space nor do I want to waste food by having it expire before I can eat it. I always have milk, eggs, yogurt, cheese, tortillas, and a little produce, as well as a few frozen meals and bananas. That’s pretty much it except for crackers and pantry basics. And I don’t mind having the same things week to week; actually, I like routine! I do eat a couple meals out per week too…
ReplyDeleteBonjour* mon @mi(e) ❤️
ReplyDeleteJe viens dans ton beau monde
Le temps est gris☁ frisquet
Il annonce de la pluie🌧️☔
Je te souhaite un bon samedi
J'espère que tu vas bien
Moi pas trop, très mal a mon dos
Prend soin de toi
Byzz👄de moi poupouille*🍁
Merci de ton passage sur mon blog
It is 6am here. It’s 5C out with my window open. I am on my tablet and under a Heather throw in my recliner. There is a little fridge, not much more than a foot from my stretched legs. There is only pop in it plus a litre of cream for coffee, which I am also drinking. We have a normal fridge downstairs with normal stuff in it and a small freezer in the basement below. BTW, there is a coffee-maker thing on top ot my little fridge, and I am just finishing a cup. I will have another in a little while. This explains the cream.
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine coming "home" to a refrigerator with no condiments. We have so many various condiments in our fridge, from various types of pickled vegetables to mustards to anchovy paste, some of which live in there for months before we use them up. I would need to alter my diet quite radically to be able to switch off the electricity every time I left.
ReplyDelete