☰

October 06, 2026

Done With Dating Apps? I'm Trying Eye Contact at the Supermarket


I'm going to give it a shot after all… Would you dare to do it, too?

While doing research for the next installment of SATURDAYS With Diana, called "Why Can't I Just Meet Someone"1, I came across a few articles online that may have changed how I look at dating through apps versus meeting someone out in the wild.

Well, not when it comes to the apps. I'm staying away from those, that much is certain. I just don't fall for a profile photo and a bio. I fall for a man I can watch move, whose voice I can hear (preferably whispering in my ear 😉), and I find men's hands very attractive (especially when they "accidentally" brush mine for just a moment 🤭). But the conclusion that I'll just have to go through life single because apps simply aren't for me? Maybe I should reconsider that after all…

In this article I wrote about how nearly impossible it's become to meet someone in the wild these days. People don't approach each other anymore. A lot of men are afraid of being rejected in public, or of coming across as creepy. And a lot of women, myself included, have had bad experiences approaching a man themselves. In my experience, men quickly assume you're just after a hookup, if you catch my drift. So I don't do that anymore.

But now that I've read those articles, I'm starting to think about it a little differently. About my (provisional) conclusion that I'll just have to go through life alone…

Turns Out, Everyone's Fed Up
Because it turns out that most people are sick of the fact that nobody approaches anyone in real life anymore, and that nobody dares to make the first move2. What's more, a recent study even found that a whopping 61% of people between 18 and 34 would rather stay single than turn to dating apps3. Now, I'm not in that age group, but I certainly belong to that group when it comes to attitude. So I'd reached that conclusion myself by now, too.

On second thought, I'd call my conclusion that it's "dating apps or nothing" provisional.
Because those two facts alone, that everyone's fed up with nobody making the first move and that a majority has maybe had enough of those dating apps, give me just enough encouragement to maybe dare to put myself back out there.

Let me explain that for a second. The fact that 61% would rather stay single than use dating apps tells me how strong their aversion to those apps is. But I just can't imagine that all those people actually want to be alone that badly. On top of that, people are annoyed that nobody approaches anybody anymore. To me, that says they'd actually love for someone to make a move.

So I think that may be enough for me to dare to try again.

The Case for Staying Vague
Only this time, I'm going to do it very differently! Because maybe the problem wasn't that I, as a woman, approached a man. Maybe it was how I did it. As you know, I'm originally from Belgium, but I've lived in Amsterdam for more than thirty years now. And as you may also know, the Dutch are extremely direct. That's actually one of the things I like about Dutch culture. It's just not always wise to be that direct in every situation.

Let me give you an example of something I experienced myself recently. Remember when I told you about that experience in the supermarket a while back? About the cashier who flirted with me? Or at least, that's still only a hypothesis.

That cashier's behavior sent really ambiguous signals, which had me wondering: was that flirting, or was it all in my head? I still don't know for sure. But what I do know very well by now is the impact it had on me!

And when something has that kind of impact on you, you start thinking about it. I asked myself: why would he behave so ambiguously? Because as I see it, if you're interested in someone, you don't need to resort to a vague touch of the hand and a whisper in the ear. You could just strike up a conversation, for instance. Still, I can see three advantages to that ambiguity for him.
01
It's a way to find out whether I'm interested in him: just see if and how I react.
02
It's risk-free, because he can always say he didn't do anything special, that it was all in my head.
03
Since he keeps this up over multiple encounters, I might eventually get the idea to take the initiative and make a concrete move myself.
I thought: Now that's smart. I'm going to do that too!
Because there's even a fourth advantage to giving off signals like that. When someone says to you, straight up, "I like you," it's clear. You don't have to rack your brain for a second, and pretty quickly you know whether you like them back or not. But this ambiguous behavior? If you're not careful, your mind runs wild.

If he can pull off making that kind of impact on me, why couldn't I do the same to someone else?

The Experiment: Eye Contact in Aisle Five
In another article online, I read some tips on how to meet someone in real life when you're sick of the apps. First, be a little kind to yourself and remind yourself what's great about you. Then practice making eye contact, which you can absolutely do in the supermarket 😉. And if you don't know what to say, just give the person a compliment. If a conversation gets going, you can ask for their number, saying you're really enjoying the chat but sadly have to run. And what if they never call you back? Then you're welcome to give yourself a pat on the back for at least trying.

So I'll start by experimenting with eye contact. Which, conveniently, keeps things nice and vague.

Right, off to the supermarket! Not Lidl this time. I'm staying away from there for a while, before my mind runs even wilder. 🤣 Let's see if I can even catch someone's eye. It doesn't have to be anyone I find attractive, it's just an experiment, a bit of practice. That way, if I run into someone I really do like, I'll have a little skill under my belt. Because, yes, flirting: we've unlearned it.

So what do you think? Would you dare to do this too, now that you know many people are fed up with those apps and might actually love to be approached?


Photo: Shalom Ejiofor

27 comments:

  1. I would not know how to enter the dating game now! I have been in a relationship with one person for over 32 years and in my 50's, it would be daunting to say the least to have to try apps, or smiling in Aisle 5 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Je kan iemand echt wel tegenkomen in de supermarkt waar het mee klikt.
    Ik ben bijna 56 jaar getrouwd, dus ik heb geen behoefte aan een date.
    Ik wens je een mooie dinsdag.
    Groetjes Irma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting reflection.
    Many greetings

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so right, dear Diana—it's a shame that dating is almost exclusively done through platforms and apps these days. Of course, there are advantages to that, too, but nothing can replace direct contact with someone you find attractive. That's why I think your experiment—trying to make eye contact while waiting in line at the supermarket—is wonderful. Good luck with it!
    Love from Vienna, Nadine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nadine, thank you, and greetings to Vienna! I agree: the apps have their advantages, but nothing replaces the moment when you simply see someone and feel something. I'll let you know how my eye contact experiment goes. So far the biggest challenge seems to be remembering to look up from my shopping list. 😄

      Delete
  5. I am so glad that I don't have to date, sounds horror to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting. No dating apps in my day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grazie per essere passata da me ! Saluti

    ReplyDelete
  8. ☘️Bonjour🌹Diana
    Je passe voir ta jolie page ,et comment tu vas ?
    Désolée de mon @bsence d'hier et le soir trop fatiguée pour passer !
    Mais me voilà chez toi pour te remercier de tes visites
    Un plaisir de te lire
    Je te souhaite une bonne semaine un @gréable mardi
    Beau temps encore malgré quelques nuages gris
    Prends soin de toi 💋 Gros bisous ❤️*Shirley*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m interested to read the results of your experiment. As for me, I’m over dating completely, apps or otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck! Anxious to hear how this works out for you! At my age and the fact that I've been married for so long dating is beyond my thoughts anymore and not something I would ever do again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ich war viele Jahre glücklich verheiratet als mein Mann starb. Nach der Zeit der Trauer begann ich mich einsam zu fühlen. Wo kann man als Frau um die 70 allein hingehen um einen Mann kennenzulernen? Es müsste ja ein Ort sein, an dem sich auch Männer im passenden Alter aufhalten. Meine Gymnastik-Gruppe und mein Handarbeitsverein waren nicht erfolgsversprechend. Also wagte ich den Schritt und besuchte eine Dating-App für Senioren. Inzwischen lebe seit sechs Jahren mit meinem Wunschmann zusammen. Es gab auch sehr nette Männer, die einsam waren. Manchmal ist es gut mutig zu sein. Manchmal ist es gut, nicht alles zu glauben. Das Glück kann überall sein. Man muss es nur sehen.
    Viele Grüße Anette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liebe Anette, vielen Dank für Ihre so persönliche Geschichte. Es tut mir leid um Ihren Mann, und ich freue mich sehr, dass Sie nach der Trauer wieder Glück gefunden haben. Gerade Ihr Weg macht mir Mut: Sie haben zuerst Orte ausprobiert, an denen Sie Männer hätten kennenlernen können, und sind dann einen Schritt weitergegangen. Ihr Satz, dass es manchmal gut ist, mutig zu sein und manchmal, nicht alles zu glauben, gefällt mir sehr. Vielleicht liegt der Unterschied auch darin, dass eine Seniorenplattform ein klares Ziel hat, nämlich Menschen, die wirklich jemanden kennenlernen wollen. Das ist mir bei den üblichen Apps zu undurchsichtig. Ich wünsche Ihnen weiterhin viel Glück mit Ihrem Wunschmann!

      Delete
  12. I am decades past having to think about such things, but if I were alone again, I think I would just live with it. I met my wife in a group situation, in our case, church. Can younger people find group to join? I don’t know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anvilcloud. Your question is a good one, and it points to something we've lost: meeting people through a shared group, where you already have something to talk about and no one feels put on the spot. Church, clubs, choirs and sports teams did that naturally. Funnily enough, I wrote about this earlier this year: my daughter told me that young people are slowly turning away from dating apps and organizing themselves in WhatsApp groups around shared activities, like cooking, running or archery, where romance can happen naturally but isn't the direct goal. So it seems they are finding groups, just in a different form than we did. If you're curious, I wrote about it here: https://canalsandcitrus.blogspot.com/2026/04/why-more-people-are-quitting-dating.html

      Delete
  13. I really enjoyed this post! I think the idea of practising eye contact at the supermarket is both funny and surprisingly sensible. I also like the idea of keeping things a little vague instead of making a direct approach straight away. Sometimes a look or a small signal can be enough to see whether there is any mutual interest.

    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Diana, thanks for the visit. I'm in my 70s and married so dating isn't a thought, but I have a 48 year-old friend who has related the misery of dating apps. I think you are onto a good idea. What can it hurt? I guess that's how we met people decades ago, striking up a conversation, offering help with something, just smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra, and I'm sorry to hear about your friend's experience with the apps, it seems to be a very common story. You describe it so well: striking up a conversation, offering help, just smiling. That is exactly how it used to work, and that's what I'd like to try again, so "what can it hurt?" is now my motto for the experiment. I'll report back!

      Delete
  15. You have brought up some good issue about dating or just finding someone to date. I have to say that I'm very happy I don't have to worry about that. I just celebrated my 46th anniversary. However, I see my young female family members having these same problems. Personally, if I was younger, I would stay away from dating apps.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just end up looking creepy when I do things like that. You're right though. Best to practice it so it works when you really want it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Liz, I'm afraid that's exactly my worry too! I think that's why practicing without any expectations makes sense: if it comes across as creepy, nothing is lost, and with a bit of luck a friendly smile helps. Thank you for the encouragement, I'll keep your comment in mind when I'm in aisle five.

      Delete
  17. I've never used a dating app. Not planning on dating again. It's so weird to me that people don't meet in person too much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A mi no me gusta las aplicaciones mas por seguridad . aunque si las utilizado fue hace años y no me fue muy bien con ellas. Ahora prefiero estar soltera . Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I feel bad for you having to deal with that. I don't miss it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Diana,
    I am on your blog for the first time, and I enjoyed reading your post :) It made me smile.
    I haven't had any dating experience in all these years of my life. I've been a shy girl growing up, and where I am from, it would cause a scandal if we were to approach a man.. (in a funny way) My mom would joke about this when we were still younger, so we grew up believing women could even approach men directly. (I do not know if it is fortunate or unfortunate). So your post really made me think. Then how would people meet each other? You're true about men being afraid these days, of being labeled creepy. But there are very few who are confident to approach women in a way that is not deemed creepy. They carry it out effortlessly. You have to put yourself in the right places. Maybe? I am thinking.

    Recently, I've tried to sign up my sister (elder) on a dating app (because she wouldn't), and my experience finding a match for her has only been futile. And she will not approach a man too (Sometimes I secretly really want her to), so this is really something that should have a solution :) Everybody deserves loving company, and there has to be some way, some real-life way (no apps).

    Please tell me how your experience goes once you try striking up a conversation with someone at a supermarket :) I would really love to read about it, and I am so happy for you that you've decided this for you. And I wish you the very best.

    With friendships (platonic), I've had much success finding people in real life (rather than online) - but I've always wanted to approach people myself too. It is less tricky and easier to begin with when it comes to friendships than dating. What do you think? Isn't it an easier way to start and practice approaching people in real life?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wish you well. On the way north I listened to a radio show called 1A about the challenges of dating these days, including app issues. (It's probably available on NPR.org if you're interested!) The good thing about being older and with a partner is that I don't have to do that anymore. If something happened to Rick, I'm not sure I'd go back into that again. We were friends first and didn't date for about two or three years. That was perfect, 30 years later proves it! (And no, we have chosen not to marry (yet) but we live two blocks apart and in a few years will move in together.)

    ReplyDelete