What's your favorite movie?
Before the accident, Harry shared his Netflix account with me. But afterwards, the conservator handling his affairs canceled all his subscriptions. So I signed up for my own plan for a month, the cheapest one, just to give it a try. Partly because I found it hard to quit Netflix cold turkey. You see, I have a habit you might find a little strange. Or maybe you'll recognize yourself in it? When I like a movie, or when it speaks to me for some other reason, I want to watch it again. And again. I don't mean I'll rewatch it months or years later. No, I want to see it again the next night, and the night after that, and the night after that. Until it becomes a ritual. I start cooking, set up my laptop, and by the time dinner's ready, I can sit down in front of it. With the same movie. Again.
So that routine disappeared overnight. And my own cheaper plan didn't quite solve the problem. Because there was an Italian movie I loved watching (and a series too) that simply wasn't available on my Dutch Netflix. Apparently Harry had a pricier plan that gave him access to other countries' catalogs. Getting an Italian subscription wasn't an option for me: it's more expensive, and then I'd lose access to the Dutch catalog.
During the pandemic, in the lockdowns, I'd built up a collection of secondhand DVDs. And I hadn't come close to watching them all. So here's what I did: I bought one of those external DVD drives (for 15 euros, a little more than a month of Netflix). Now I can just watch my DVDs on my little laptop. A great solution for me, since I like watching the same movie over and over anyway. (And yes, of course I canceled Netflix.) One of the movies I have on DVD, and that I really love, is
Leaving Las Vegas
Mike Figgis | US 1995 | 111 min. | English
I love this movie, and the next one too, because it tells the story of two damaged people who find each other. I'm afraid that's something I can relate to all too well. Another movie I've watched countless times and still love to watch is
Frankie and Johnny
Garry Marshall | US 1991 | 118 min. | English
Johnny (Al Pacino) has just gotten out of prison and starts working as a cook at a diner in New York. Frankie (Michelle Pfeiffer) works there as a waitress. He's hooked right away. She… not so much. Frankie closed the door on love a long time ago, and she has no intention of opening it again just like that. Only: Johnny doesn't give up.
My all-time favorite, though not exactly something you sit back and relax to:
Johnny (Al Pacino) has just gotten out of prison and starts working as a cook at a diner in New York. Frankie (Michelle Pfeiffer) works there as a waitress. He's hooked right away. She… not so much. Frankie closed the door on love a long time ago, and she has no intention of opening it again just like that. Only: Johnny doesn't give up.
My all-time favorite, though not exactly something you sit back and relax to:
Ryan's Daughter
David Lean | UK 1970 | 195 min. | English
Ireland, 1916. In a remote coastal village, Rosy, the pub owner's daughter, marries the schoolteacher. A sweet man, but a lot older. And above all: dull. This isn't the life Rosy dreamed of. And then a British officer is stationed in the village. You can see where this is going, right? Except that in a village where everybody knows everybody's business, and where the British are hated, nothing stays secret for long.
The betrayal by someone close to Rosy, and being cast out by the village (by "the group"), are also things I recognize from my own life. Because the movie is pretty intense and very long, it's not one I've watched night after night, but I have watched it often. One I did watch a gazillion times on Netflix Italy is
Ireland, 1916. In a remote coastal village, Rosy, the pub owner's daughter, marries the schoolteacher. A sweet man, but a lot older. And above all: dull. This isn't the life Rosy dreamed of. And then a British officer is stationed in the village. You can see where this is going, right? Except that in a village where everybody knows everybody's business, and where the British are hated, nothing stays secret for long.
The betrayal by someone close to Rosy, and being cast out by the village (by "the group"), are also things I recognize from my own life. Because the movie is pretty intense and very long, it's not one I've watched night after night, but I have watched it often. One I did watch a gazillion times on Netflix Italy is
Perfect Strangers (Perfetti sconosciuti)
Paolo Genovese | Italy 2016 | 97 min. | Italian
Unfortunately, I can't find the original version secondhand on DVD anywhere, so I may have to break down and buy it new. Because it is seriously good! Seven friends, a dinner party in Rome, a lunar eclipse. Nothing out of the ordinary so far. But then the hostess, Eva, suggests a game: everyone puts their phone on the table, and every text and every call that comes in that evening gets shared with the whole group. After all, you've got nothing to hide from your best friends, right? Well…
Unlike the other movies, Perfect Strangers isn't one I easily identify with, but that's exactly what draws me to it. I'm not a group person myself; I try to avoid group settings as much as I can. And that's why the dynamics in this movie fascinate me so much. They give me a peek into a world that's completely outside my own experience. Also, all the characters are in (long-term) relationships. Another thing I don't know from my own life, but here I get to catch a glimpse of it. Because the script and the acting are just masterful! With 24 remakes, Perfetti sconosciuti holds the Guinness World Record for the most remade movie ever. Sadly, there's no English-language version yet. But the original is available with English subtitles.
By the way, I wouldn't be quick to recommend any of the remakes. I've seen the Dutch version, for instance. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't come anywhere close to the original. And that's hardly surprising, because I think the original Italian version is simply unmatchable. Last but definitely not least:
Unfortunately, I can't find the original version secondhand on DVD anywhere, so I may have to break down and buy it new. Because it is seriously good! Seven friends, a dinner party in Rome, a lunar eclipse. Nothing out of the ordinary so far. But then the hostess, Eva, suggests a game: everyone puts their phone on the table, and every text and every call that comes in that evening gets shared with the whole group. After all, you've got nothing to hide from your best friends, right? Well…
Unlike the other movies, Perfect Strangers isn't one I easily identify with, but that's exactly what draws me to it. I'm not a group person myself; I try to avoid group settings as much as I can. And that's why the dynamics in this movie fascinate me so much. They give me a peek into a world that's completely outside my own experience. Also, all the characters are in (long-term) relationships. Another thing I don't know from my own life, but here I get to catch a glimpse of it. Because the script and the acting are just masterful! With 24 remakes, Perfetti sconosciuti holds the Guinness World Record for the most remade movie ever. Sadly, there's no English-language version yet. But the original is available with English subtitles.
By the way, I wouldn't be quick to recommend any of the remakes. I've seen the Dutch version, for instance. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't come anywhere close to the original. And that's hardly surprising, because I think the original Italian version is simply unmatchable. Last but definitely not least:
Thelma & Louise
Ridley Scott | US 1991 | 130 min. | English
Louise (Susan Sarandon) is a waitress, while Thelma (Geena Davis) is a housewife with an overbearing husband. The two friends head off for a weekend getaway, but the trip doesn't go quite as planned. After one fateful night at a roadside bar, they find themselves on the run, with the police hot on their heels. And somewhere along the way, they discover something neither of them has ever known: freedom.
I'd say: What an exit! This movie has so many things that so many women, myself included, of course, can relate to. What I find masterful about it is how the director and the writer managed to handle really serious subjects with just the right touch of humor.
Louise (Susan Sarandon) is a waitress, while Thelma (Geena Davis) is a housewife with an overbearing husband. The two friends head off for a weekend getaway, but the trip doesn't go quite as planned. After one fateful night at a roadside bar, they find themselves on the run, with the police hot on their heels. And somewhere along the way, they discover something neither of them has ever known: freedom.
I'd say: What an exit! This movie has so many things that so many women, myself included, of course, can relate to. What I find masterful about it is how the director and the writer managed to handle really serious subjects with just the right touch of humor.
I'm curious about your favorites. Is there one on my list that you love too, or are your tastes completely different?
P.S. Every Saturday, my mini magazine, SATURDAYS With Diana, goes live. It's free to read, and if you subscribe, it lands in your inbox automatically. If you'd like, you can check out an issue here.
Thank you for sharing your nice comment...
ReplyDelete...a favorite film! Oh, there are many. Thinking on Romy Schneider... Liz Taylor... Paul Newmann... you See there are classic stars in old movies.
Merci de ton passage sur mon blog musique
ReplyDeleteBonne journée
Wonderful :-))
ReplyDeleteFilms :-))
I love them!
Thanks for your selection... the only one I know is "Thelma & Louise" – a great film.
I’ll definitely check out the others!
There are many films I really like; off the top of my head, "Brooklyn" by John Crowley or Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris" come to mind...
Warm regards,
Viola
Thank you for the tips! I haven't seen Brooklyn yet, so I'll put it on my list. Midnight in Paris is a lovely film.
Deletebonjour
ReplyDeletemerci du passage et com's
je te dit un bon mercredi
Amitié
Thanks for popping in to my blog. Your film selection looks good - the only one I have seen is Ryan's daughter, a classic - but I have of course heard of the rest. Greetings from a very windy Cornwall. Lin
ReplyDeleteRyan's Daughter is a classic indeed. Greetings back to windy Cornwall!
DeleteI like both Leaving Las Vegas and Frankie and Johnny. Perfect Strangers sounds like something I would enjoy too. We canceled Netflix early this year too.
ReplyDeleteGood to hear we both said goodbye to Netflix! I hope you get to see Perfect Strangers; it's well worth it.
DeleteWe piggybacked onto my daughter’s plan for $10/mo, which is pretty reasonable. We mostly watch serials, particularly detective programs, especially if they are British.
ReplyDeleteThat's a smart way to keep the cost down!
DeleteWhoa Leaving Las Vegas is a sad movie, intense ... but good. The first time I saw it - I could barely move, lol. I've seen Frankie & Johnnie (good performances) ... and Thelma & Louise of course. But I have not seen Ryan's Daughter so I should find it somehow, somewhere. David Lean though eh? Rewatching DVDs is a good idea ... Out of Africa is one I have on DVD
ReplyDeleteLeaving Las Vegas leaves me speechless every time, so I understand that you could barely move. And yes, Ryan's Daughter really is by David Lean, so do look for it. It's long, but the landscapes and the story are unforgettable. Out of Africa is a lovely one to have on DVD too!
DeleteYou have a lot of old films and shows, and even cooking shows and competitions over at YouTube for free, that is where I watch Dragon's Den, Shark Tank and Masterchef and tons of cooking shows like Chocolate and Sugar Showdowns and other fun of that kind. You might also start using Torrents with IP address blocker. So many people are cancelling streamers as they are becoming too pricey.
ReplyDeleteYou've watched some good things. I quit netflix years ago, though considering coming back. Between Hulu, Britbox and Acorn, I have more than I can watch already!
ReplyDeleteThanks for giving me some good viewing suggestions. I don’t think I’ve watched any of these.
ReplyDeleteIch habe auch noch recht viele DVD´s im Regal, schon fast Klassiker, die ich auch ab und an sehr gern mal wieder schaue. LG Romy
ReplyDeleteMy fav movies are Grace Kelly movies (especially High Society) so oc I've got all them in dvd, still I would really miss Netflix if I didn't have the chance to have it.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, since I'm a lover too of old moveis I know all these, except Ryan's daughter, now have to look for it! :)
XO
S
https://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.com
Grace Kelly's films are such a good choice to keep on DVD. I hope you find Ryan's Daughter!
DeleteI'm so sorry to read what happened to Harry.
ReplyDeleteI have Prime through my daughter's account and Netflix. The movies you are watching are good ones.
Thank you, Mary. That means a lot to me. I'm glad you enjoy these films too.
DeleteThank you so much for sharing about these films! I am so sorry what happened to Harry. I watch movies on television or YouTube, thankfully YouTube has a great selection. I have never used Netflix or any of the others.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your kind words, Linda. And how nice that YouTube gives you so much to watch! I've heard it has a lot of old films too.
DeleteI love movies and have Prime and Netflix (recently cancelled HBO because dragon season is over for a while). Yes, I relate to rewatching movies many times, though not in a row as you describe. I probably watch my favorite musicals a couple times per year and the Mamma Mia ones maybe every other month. There are romcoms on my rewatch list (You’ve Got Mail, When Harry Met Sally, 27 Dresses, The Hating Game, etc.) along with comedies such as Analyze This and Young Frankenstein. Anything I love, I like to buy, especially on DVD just in case. Leaving Las Vegas was a wonderful, heartbreaking film. I would watch it again. I have seen the others you mentioned as well, except for Perfect Strangers, which sounds intriguing!
ReplyDeleteHi Paula, I love that you buy the movies you love on DVD, just in case! Leaving Las Vegas is such a heartbreaking film, isn't it? I'm so glad you've seen the others too. And if Perfect Strangers intrigues you, I'd say go for it: I've watched it countless times and it never gets old. When Harry Met Sally and Analyze This are two of my favorites too, they're just so good!
DeleteGood films-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteSon buenas películas. Aunque yo sigo con neflix y prime. Te mando un beso.
ReplyDeleteGreat picks! Thelma & Louise is unforgettable, and Perfect Strangers sounds like one I’d really enjoy. I’ll be adding it to my watchlist!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the suggestions. Are DVDs still being produced?
ReplyDeleteYes, they still are, though far fewer than before. I mostly buy secondhand, which is cheaper and means I can still find older films.
DeleteI've seen Leaving Las Vegas, Frankie and Johnny, and Thelma and Louise once each. They didn't resonate for me like they did for you. I do have a few movies that when they come on TV, no matter what part they're in, I will sit and watch them again. (I don't tend to seek out these movies, though. When streaming, I'm looking for something I haven't seen and/or something I can knit to.) At the moment, my top pick is The Martian.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your honest reaction, Liz! It's interesting how differently the same film can land on different people. I like your idea of films you'll watch whenever they happen to come on TV, no matter which part. And a film to knit to is a great criterion!
DeleteI love this idea and see many favorites on your list. My favorite? So difficult to pick one but I would say A Little Chaos by Alan Rickman (and My Man Godfrey for an oldie).
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo