You know what I basically never do anymore? I wonder if you still do it sometimes…
Okay, "never" is a bit of an exaggeration — let's say "almost never." I'm talking about meeting up with a girlfriend at a little café, just for a cup of coffee.
It hit me all of a sudden while I was sitting there looking at this painting.
You know I do SATURDAYS With Diana every week, right? I like making room for art in it. And when I can find the time, I like going even deeper into it. (Here you'll find a number of works I've taken a closer look at, along with my own reading of them.)
So there I was looking at this piece, and it suddenly hit me that it had been ages since I'd met up with a girlfriend for a cup of coffee at a café. Here's how that happened.
Experts say this painting evokes a sense of loneliness, alienation, or social distance. The two women are sitting together at the table, but there seems to be almost no interaction between them, according to the experts. They're said to be physically together but emotionally disconnected. That's supposedly why this painting is so often linked to loneliness and isolation amid other people. The woman in the foreground, they say, seems to avoid eye contact with both the viewer and her companion.
What do you think — do you see it that way too? (If you're reading this on a laptop or desktop, it might help to open the painting link in a separate tab so you can easily switch back and forth.)
I don't see it that way at all!
I see two women, who most likely know each other, sitting across from one another at a table in a café or restaurant. And to me, the woman in the foreground is clearly looking straight at her companion, as if she's listening intently to what she has to say. I don't see any loneliness, isolation, or social alienation in this scene whatsoever. Do you?
Anyway, as I sat there looking at the scene, and at first I just saw two friends in those two women, who'd arranged to meet up — probably for lunch (look at that light, it's clearly not evening, and besides, the women are sitting in a chop suey restaurant) — I suddenly thought: I haven't done this in so long. Just met up with a friend for coffee, or for lunch.
I'm 56 now, but I remember that in my early twenties, I'd meet up with a girlfriend at least once a week. We'd meet, say, at a student café. Back then that's often just what they were called, because the prices were reasonably affordable, which meant the food was accessible too, for students who generally had less to spend. So we're talking about roughly thirty years ago or more. We'd often sit there for hours. We might meet up around eleven in the morning. Then about an hour and a half later, around half past twelve, we'd get hungry and order something simple to eat — a sandwich, maybe. Then, an hour or so after that sandwich, we'd move on to beer or wine, and around four in the afternoon we'd finally head off — a little tipsy and fully caught up — and go our separate ways home.
And what did we talk about for five straight hours? Mostly… men: the current boyfriend, the ex-boyfriend, the boyfriend before the ex-boyfriend, so-and-so's boyfriend, and so on. No, it wasn't really about the men themselves, but about our relationships with those men (and so-and-so's relationship with her boyfriend), and so on.
Anyway, I realized I just never do that anymore — sit in a café with a friend for hours, talking things through. I got out of the habit of that when I had my daughter and, as a single mother, was completely housebound those first few years. Not just because of caring for my child, though — I also ended up socially isolated because of a deep, long depression. Years later, once I'd recovered a bit, there weren't many friends left to meet up with anymore. And I wouldn't have had much to say about men anyway, since there weren't any left in my life — well, not really. I mean, I did spend the last twenty years with Harry, but as far as I'm concerned, he doesn't really count as that.
And now, thirty years later, with my daughter long since out of the house, why couldn't I maybe start meeting up with a friend every now and then for a cup of coffee, a sandwich, and maybe a glass of wine or two?
I don't know.
I think I'd actually like that. But I'm just not used to doing that anymore. Back then it just happened naturally, spontaneously. Now I'd actually have to push myself over some kind of threshold. Partly because I don't really have those close friendships anymore. And partly because I find the hospitality industry way too expensive these days. I simply refuse to keep paying those ridiculous prices for a cup of coffee or a sandwich. (And I'm quite principled about that — I even quit smoking once, after decades, because of the high price of cigarettes. So that tells you something!)
Times have changed. You can't just call someone up out of the blue and meet up anymore. Life stages have changed. People have their own things going on and find it harder to free up time. (Or at least, that's what they think, at this stage of life.)
But… I'm hereby resolving that from now on (well, I mean once I'm back in Amsterdam, because I don't know a soul here in Sicily) I'll invite someone over to my place once a week for a cup of coffee or a little drink. With a (small) snack to go with it. 😝 Yeah, I think that's a good idea. Look what a painting like that can lead to! 😉
But, come to think of it, take another good look at that woman in the foreground. Earlier I said I saw two women who most likely know each other, but now I'm actually starting to doubt that. Look how intently that woman in the foreground is staring at her companion. Look at her facial expression. It's as if she's calling the other woman to account for something. It wouldn't surprise me if the two of them don't actually know each other at all, and instead just arranged to meet because the woman in the foreground has just found out that the other woman started an affair with her husband, and she wants some answers. That's how I read the way the woman in the foreground is looking at her "companion." Don't you think?
I'll keep you posted. Once I'm back in Amsterdam, I'll let you know whether I managed to meet up with anyone. And you let me know what you thought of my reading of Edward Hopper's "Chop Suey"! I'm curious to hear.
Cheers!
Photo's: Jeanie de Klerk
I am sure that George, Jerry, Kramer, and Elaine still get together for coffee all the time.
ReplyDeleteHaha! Great response!
DeleteHave a nice day!
ReplyDeleteSair para tomar café, bater papo é muito bom.
ReplyDeleteAqui, já que estou com 77 anos já, nossos encontros ou são nas casas minha ou das filhas, ou em lugares poara tomar café, doces, coisas assim., mas sempre com família!
Estamos sempre juntos e o que era comum com amigos, ficou impraticável pois tantas tratativas e pormenores precisam ser combinados... Houve uma enorme complicação de tudo! Acabou a simplicidade e com ela, a espontaneidade sumiu! Pena!
Assim, sigo !
beijos, lindo fim de semana, chica
Thank you for your visit to my blog, "Closed Doors, Open Windows". It's always nice to make new friends here in blogland. And so I wanted to come over to your "place" and get better acquainted with you. This post was very enjoyable. I've never seen that painting before, and then I read all the information about it on Wikipedia, and was amazed that people had so much to say about what I though was a pretty simple painting of two women having a cup of tea together in a cafe'. And the fact that it sold for millions of dollars truly astounded me! Made me want to take up my brust and start painting! LOL. But to answer your question about "Whatever happened to meeting a friend for coffee?", well, life happens. People just get too busy to take the time to sit and visit anymore over a cup of coffee (or tea for me). And now that we are retired, my hubby and I spend most of our time together going to doctor visits or running errands, and many of my "friends" are in the same boat...we are in our 70's and we just don't seem to have the time to spend with a good friend over coffee/tea any more. I've thought about it a lot, however, and wish I could...but alas, I don't know who to call to do that! We do sometimes meet other couples for lunch, and that is always enjoyable, but I do miss that interaction with a really good friend. Thank you for this poignant reminder that we need to allow ourselves time to be with a friend again, one on one...and enjoy that special kind of fellowship. I enjoyed "meeting" you here, and have had my morning cup of tea while visiting...
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely day!
Thank you so much for such a thoughtful reply, and I completely understand how life in your 70s fills up with doctor visits and errands rather than coffee dates - maybe we can both make more of an effort to carve out that time again!
DeleteI do hope you meet up with someone. I have a friend that I meet up with for coffee every other week and it really makes my day. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on isolation. We need to connect with others!
ReplyDeletehttps://www.kathrineeldridge.com
I used to do lunch with friends and discover I haven't done it in ages!
ReplyDeleteHave a nice day ;)
ReplyDeleteLife writes beautiful stories; sometimes a door closes, but if you look closely enough, there is always a door open for you.
ReplyDeleteSending you warm regards.
Just wanted to say I read your series on Harry. What a tragic experience to have to go through.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like such a lovely way to catch up over coffee. I really enjoyed the relaxed feeling of the post and those simple moments of conversation and connection. Sometimes a coffee with a friend is all you need for a little break from everyday life.
ReplyDeleteKisses
I do get together with friends, but it’s almost always for an event, such as a game night. It’s nice to relax and chat over coffee too… maybe I should make plans to do this 🙂
ReplyDeleteIt’s been a handful of years since I’ve met up with a friend for a coffee. Even when I did, it was only for about an hour. Enough time for a quick catch-up.
ReplyDeleteI do think times have changed. We seem to have lost the ability to just sit and enjoy each other. It’s almost as if lingering is looked upon as wasted time.
I may follow your lead and try and spend more time enjoying friends in this way.
Thank you for visting my blog. It's a long time since I vistited a cafe. I live far out in the countryside, and there are no cafe here :)
ReplyDeleteI'm 56 as well. I don't go out much to meet anyone. It's been quite a while since I met someone for coffee.
ReplyDeleteYes, life is getting too busy to meet up with friends in person; cell-phones and modern technology encourages us to meet electronically instead.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
I must admit that I'm not much of a social person. I find small talk a little bit difficult. I agree with your assessment of the painting. I see it as the lady whose face you can see is listening intently to her companion. I don't see any loneliness there at all
ReplyDeleteYou hit the nail on the head regarding café prices—it really makes spontaneous meetups feel like a luxury rather than an everyday habit! Wishing you a wonderful rest of your stay in Sicily, and I can’t wait to read your update when you’re back
ReplyDeleteI try to meet friends for lunch or coffee at least once a month. It's easier to stay in touch that way.
ReplyDeleteDobré ráno, i na mě obraz působí tak, že žena v modrém čepci promlouvá k ženě v zelené halence něco důrazného, ale nepříjemného, co žena v zelné halence nechce slyšet, a proto se vyhýbá pohledu na svou společnici. Já nikdy do kaváren nechodila, ale čím jsem starší, tím víc se těším na setkání s rodinou a přáteli jen tak u nich doma.
ReplyDeleteIn Sweden "fika" is a big thing, so we often meet friends at different cafés for shorter or longer hours. Some of my friends meet up for breakfast in the city, but I'm to tired in the mornings to join them (and I need loads of tea before I want to be social in the mornings).
ReplyDeleteThinking of the painting, it's always interesting to stop and really, really, look a a painting and see how your first impression might change. And how different people see different things.
Glad you found my blog, please take care and don't forget to fika with your friends in Amsterdam!